What is a Transponder Key?
We’ve all heard about transponders and know they’re related to our car keys, but what is a transponder key exactly?
- A transponder receives a radio signal from your car’s computer when you insert and turn your key in the ignition; the transponder then responds to the computer with a valid code authorizing system start
- The transponder generally lives in the plastic head of the key
- Your car’s computer energizes the transponder via radio signal – no battery required!
- Transponder keys function as car immobilizers
- Transponder keys deter car theft by preventing system start without the correct transponder signal; in other words, transponder keys prevent car theft via “hot wiring”
- Car alarm triggers when the wrong transponder key or signal attempts to access the car
- Malfunction via water-logging
- Relay hacking
- Accidental transponder reprogramming
Find all your commercial, residential, and automotive locksmith needs at northern Nevada’s best locksmith company – Locksmith 775. We are highly trained to carry out car lockout solutions including lock picking, transponder key programming, ignition key replacement, and more!
Whether you lost your key, have a broken key in the ignition, or get locked out of car, Reno Locksmith 775 can be at your service within minutes because we understand the importance of a fast response time.
We can solve any car lockout or let you inside the house or apartment within 25 minutes of your initial call. Contact us today!